Resources for Internal Transfer Employees

Taking on a new role in the Wolfpack family can seem like a thinkless transition. However, whether the change in your role is small or significant there may be some important actions and considerations to review. Use the resources below to ensure you understand applicable tasks and policies that impact you as a transfer employee within the University.

On Your First Day

Confirm with your supervisor the status of your new position under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).

Federal law requires employers to record hours worked, pay an hourly wage, and to compensate for hours physically worked over 40 in a workweek unless the position meets specific exemption criteria. These requirements apply regardless of whether an employee is full-time or part-time, is SHRA or EHRA, or is permanent or temporary.

If you are Non-Exempt under FLSA then time keeping is required and you are eligible for overtime. If you are Exempt under FLSA then no time keeping is required.

Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Overview

Time Keeping System – WolfTime – Training and Resources

There may be changes to the internal expectations and processes for requesting time off based on your new role and supervisor. You may also have changes to your Leave Accrual rates if you are changing between SHRA and EHRA employee categories.

Talk with your new supervisor regarding internal processes and expectations for requesting time off.

If you are new to earning leave, review the policies and options for the various Leave Programs offered by the University.

If you are changing between employment categories of SHRA and EHRA you will want to review the Annual Leave Accrual Rate charts for potential changes in your leave earnings.

If there are changes to your physical location based on your new position, you may need to change, update or turn in your parking permit. Would you benefit from switching from a “C” to “CD”? Are you now eligible to go on the wait list for a “B” permit? Please discuss the best parking options for your location with your supervisor and then work with Transportation accordingly.

Please Note: If you are moving to a location that does not require campus parking or offers private parking options, you will need to turn in your virtual parking permit to the Transportation Office in order for the payroll deduction to be turned off. If the permit is not turned in, you will continue to be charged. You can visit Transportation’s Contact Us page and choose “Returning Virtual Permits”. Fill out the information and include the day you would like for your virtual permit to be returned.

Manage My Parking

Transportation Office

The Essential/Key/Mandatory designations are assigned regardless of being SHRA or EHRA. Discuss the requirements and expectations of your new position with your supervisor in regards to being designated Essential/Key/Mandatory.

In Your First 5 Days

The Patent and Tangible Research Policy (“Patent Policy”) is applicable to all faculty and other EHRA employees, SHRA employees, emeritus faculty, adjunct faculty, visiting faculty or other visitors using research facilities (including but not limited to individuals on sabbatical from another university or research facility), post-doctoral employees, graduate students, and undergraduate students participating in research as employees or otherwise.

Based on your new position, you may be required to complete a Patent Agreement. Discuss this requirement with your new supervisor.

The Patent Agreement is accessed via MyPack Portal under Employee Self Service. Click your Personal Details button and the Patent Agreement is listed in the left column. After reading the information, click the “I agree” to trigger your consent.

Patent and Tangible Research Policy

The Campus Directory will typically update with your new default job title and department within 3-5 days of your HR System action approval. You can then review the information and make any edits as needed, to include a working title or nickname.

Update the Campus Directory

If you are a foreign national and have not already discussed the position change with International Compensation and Taxation, please reach out to them to discuss any impacts the position change may have on your status.


The survey is for SHRA and EHRA nonfaculty employees who are either departing the university or transferring within the university to a different two-digit OUC.

Exit Survey for Transfer Employees

In Your First 30 Days

A new Performance Management Plan should be prepared and discussed with you by the supervisor of your new position within 30 days from your start date. There are guidelines regarding the Performance Management Plans for SHRA and EHRA (Faculty and Non-Faculty) available through Employee Relations.

If you are an SHRA employee, the current supervisor completes an off-cycle review and forwards it, along with all current performance management documents, to the new supervisor. The new supervisor can factor in the employee’s progress during the performance cycle into the final overall rating.

Performance Management Guidelines

You will need to schedule time with either the supervisor of your new position or the designated personnel for departmental safety review and complete the Manager’s Safety Checklist based on your new role and responsibilities. Completion of the Manager’s Safety Checklist is required even if you are in the same department with the same supervisor based on OSHA regulations.

Safety information should be reviewed prior to the commencement of any work functions that may be hazardous and/or have exposure risks. However, any new position should have the Safety Checklist completed within the first 30 days regardless of evident risks.

The Manager’s Safety Checklist can be completed online through the University’s Online Training Module (REPORTER), or through a process vetted with the University Environmental Health and Safety Office for your department.

Safety Orientation – Manager’s Safety Checklist

Environmental Health and Safety University Office

If you are transferring from a non-benefits eligible position to a benefits eligible position, make sure to review the plans and options available. You have a strict 30-day deadline from your start date to enroll in any health coverage options. Enrollment for the Health Insurance and/or any NC Flex plan is done through MyPack Portal under Employee Self Service. Click the Benefit Details button and follow the prompts.

Online Benefits Orientation

There is a special UNC System Office provision for employees hired prior to 01/01/2013 and are transferring to another position that was advertised and recruited for within the UNC System, and have NOT been eligible to choose the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) in the past.

Eligible employees have 30 days from their start date in the new position to choose to stay in the Teachers and State Employees Retirement System (TSERS) or move to ORP. Once the choice is made or the 30 day deadline passes, the employee is no longer eligible to change their retirement plan.
Pros and cons of changing retirement plans can be discussed with your NC State HR Benefits Consultant.
Mandatory Retirement Decision Guide
Retirement Plans

All SHRA employees that engage in secondary employment (any work that produces income and is performed for an entity outside of the University) must complete the Secondary Employment Approval form. The completed form must be turned in to your supervisor for review and approval. The signed form is then maintained in the employee’s departmental personnel file. If the secondary employment is ongoing, a new form must be completed each year.

Secondary Employment

If you would like a new Campus ID Card with your new department, you can stop by the Onboarding Center in the Joyner Visitor Center or the One Card Office in Talley Student Union. There is no charge for a new card if you are changing departments. If you are not changing departments nor located near campus then no action is needed.

Required Training

If your new position requires you to supervisor permanent employees (meaning you have hiring authority and conduct performance management appraisals), then there are two required training courses you must complete in the first 12 months of your new role.

1. EEODF-New Supervisor Training: Required of any first time supervisor at NC State. NC State employees can fulfill the requirement by signing up for a course through Office of State Human Resources (OSHR).

Click the EEODF-New Supervisor Training link above to access the NC Learning Center on OSHR’s website. You will then click on the “NC Learning Center” hyperlink and follow the instructions to create an account. Once your account is created and you have signed into the Learning Center, click on “Learning” in the top left corner and then “Browse for Training”. Click on the class called “Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity Fundamentals (EEODF)” and the click “Request”.

2. Management Essentials Training : All managers and supervisors with permanent direct reports in non-faculty roles are required to complete the NC State Management Essentials training program. This two-day interactive training program is designed to provide our managers and supervisors with the foundational leadership skills, knowledge, tools, and resources needed to effectively manage their employees and project teams.

Click the Management Essentials Training link above to register through the REPORTER System (HR-ME202).

In addition to the information and resources that will be gained from the required training, there are a lot of other day-to-day responsibilities for supervisors in the management of their team. The Supervisor Toolkit is designed to provide supervisors with resources, tools, and guidance for many of the human resource issues encountered throughout the work-life of your employee(s).
Supervisor Toolkit

Discuss with your new supervisor any required training that is essential to the job duties of your new position. Develop and document with your supervisor a training plan as part of your Performance Management record.

Converting Between EHRA and SHRA

The University of North Carolina Systems provides a side-by-side comparison of policies to better understand the impacts of a transition between SHRA and EHRA.

SHRA/EHRA-NF Policy Comparison

Annual Leave is accrued at different rates based on SHRA or EHRA status. You will want to review the differences in transitioning employment categories.

Annual Leave Accrual Rates

Employees transferring from EHRA to SHRA are required to serve a 12 month probationary period.