New Employee Orientation
As a new employee at NC State, you are required to attend New Employee Orientation (NEO100) and Benefits Orientation (Ben100/NEO201) within your first 30 days of employment. These programs will help acclimate you to the university and ensure you get off to a great start.
New Employee Orientation covers several topics that the university has deemed critical for permanent employees to receive. Topics include: diversity, environmental health & safety, information technology, harassment prevention, and university police services. We also make sure you learn about some of the fun stuff of being a member of the pack,like where to get our very own Howling Cow Ice Cream, gym memberships, technology lending programs, and more. This session begins at 11 a.m. and concludes by 4:30 p.m. It is offered on Tuesdays in the Joyner Visitor Center. For employees with teaching or work schedule conflicts, an alternate session is held one Friday per month in the Monteith Reseach Center on Centennial Campus. If you attend a session hosted at the Joyner Visitor Center, orientation includes a historical and informational bus tour of campus. On the way back, we stop and eat at one of the campus dining halls…our treat! All new hires are required to complete this session.
A copy of the slides for New Employee Orientation can be printed ahead of time if you’d like to bring them with you to class or reference later.
NOTE: Faculty are also invited to participate in New Faculty Orientation (NFO) held in early August. This orientation is intended for tenured, tenure-track faculty and full-time non-tenure-track faculty new to the University. The goal of NFO is to offer new faculty useful resources and successful strategies for teaching, research and service, and does not duplicate the information provided in New Employee Orientation (NEO100). For more information, visit the Office of Faculty Development website.
Benefits Orientation (BEN100 or NEO201)
Benefits Orientation provides detailed information about the benefits offered to university employees. The benefits information is tailored to your employment classification. There are important benefit enrollment deadlines:
Eligible employees have 30 days from their hire date to enroll in Health Insurance and NC Flex plans. There are no exceptions to this deadline.
Eligible employees have 60 days from their hire date to elect a mandatory retirement plan. If no action is taken within the first 60 days, employees will default into the Teachers’ and State Employees’ Retirement System (TSERS).
If you are a faculty or staff member (EPA Faculty, EPA Non-Faculty or SPA Staff), you have two options for completing Benefits Orientation:
- In person class (BEN100)–The in-person session runs three hours and is offered every few weeks. A Benefits Consultant will facilitate the class and be available for questions.
- Online. If you choose the online option, you do not need to register ahead of time, you can just go to the link and begin your orientation. Be sure to enter your employee information (including your employee ID#) at the bottom of the orientation page to attest that you have completed the review and understand your enrollment deadlines.
If you are a postdoctoral scholar, you will need to attend a one-hour benefits orientation (NEO201) in person. This session is held twice a month: one Tuesday per month in the Joyner Visitor Center and one Friday per month in the Monteith Research Center on Centennial Campus. Postdocs should attend the general orientation and the benefits orientation sessions on the same day.
Registering for Orientations
There are several options for registering for New Employee orientation and Benefits Orientation:
- An Onboarding Specialist can take care of enrollment during your appointment on your first day
- Your supervisor or department’s human resources representative may enroll you
- You may contact the Onboarding Center at 919-513-1278 or email email@example.com to register.
- If you have received your Unity ID and password by email, you can enroll through MyPack Portal via Employee Self Service > Learning and Development
- Click the “Search by Course Number” link above.
- Enter NEO100, BEN100, or NEO201
- Click “Search”, then select “View Available Sessions”
- Select a Session date that will work for you and then Submit your request
- You will see the “The Submit was Successful” message when the request is complete.
- You will receive a system-generated confirmation email.
Download a complete schedule of orientation sessions to review before registering (PDF document).
If you have any questions, please contact the Onboarding Center Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (919) 513-1278. We are here to serve you!