New Employee Orientation
As a new employee at NC State, you are required to attend new employee orientation within your first 30 days of employment. The program will help acclimate you to the university and ensure you get off to a great start. NC State recently made some changes to new employee orientation so please read this section carefully.
Orientation has been divided into two sessions. The first session (NEO100) is the traditional new employee orientation, which includes a campus bus tour and lunch at a campus dining hall, followed by the required training modules. This session begins at 11 a.m. and concludes by 5 p.m. It is offered on Tuesdays in the Joyner Visitor Center. For employees with teaching or work schedule conflicts, an alternate session is held one Friday per month in the Hunt Library. All new hires are required to complete this session.
The second session provides detailed information about the benefits offered to university employees. The benefits information is tailored to your employment classification:
- If you are a faculty or staff member (EPA Faculty, EPA Non-Faculty or SPA Staff), you have the option of attending this session in person (NEO200) or online. The in-person version runs two hours and is offered several times a month on alternating Tuesdays and Wednesdays in the Joyner Visitor Center.
- If you are a postdoctoral scholar (NEO201), you will attend a one-hour benefits orientation in person. This session is held twice a month: one Tuesday per month in the Joyner Visitor Center and one Friday per month in the Hunt Library. Postdocs should attend the general orientation and the benefits orientation sessions on the same day.
NOTE: Faculty are also invited to participate in New Faculty Orientation (NFO) held in early August. This orientation is intended for tenured, tenure-track faculty and full-time non-tenure-track faculty new to the University. The goal of NFO is to offer new faculty useful resources and successful strategies for teaching, research and service, and does not duplicate the information provided in New Employee Orientation (NEO100). For more information, visit the Office of Faculty Development website.
Registering for Orientation
There are several options for registering for new employee orientation:
- Your department’s human resources representative may schedule the required sessions for you through the manager’s section of MyPack Portal.
- If you have received your Unity ID and password by email, you may schedule the required orientation sessions on your own by logging into MyPACK Portal, the university’s online self-service system for faculty, staff and students.
- You may contact the Onboarding Center at 919-513-1278 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- You may register during your appointment with the Onboarding Center on your first day.
Download a complete schedule of orientation sessions (PDF document).
A copy of the slides for New Employee Orientation can be printed ahead of time if you’d like to bring them with you to class.
Navigating MyPack Portal
Employees who choose to register for orientation through MyPack Portal should make note of the following information in order to successfully navigate the system. Please note that you will have to register for two separate orientation courses, a general orientation session plus a session with detailed information about benefits.
After logging into MyPack Portal, from the Main Menu tab, select the following path: Employee Self Service > Learning and Development > Request Training Enrollment. From there, search for Course ID: NEO100, the general orientation course for all employees. Follow the instructions on the screen to select available dates and submit the training request. You will receive an email confirming the date, time and location of the session.
Repeat the process to register for the appropriate course on benefits:
- NEO200 if you are a faculty or staff member (EPA Faculty, EPA Non-Faculty or SPA Staff)
- NEO201 if you are a postdoctoral scholar (Postdoc)
Again, from the Main Menu tab, select the following path: Employee Self Service > Learning and Development > Request Training Enrollment. From there, search for Course ID: NEO200 or NEO201 and following the instructions on screen. You will receive an email confirming the date, time and location of the session.
If you have any questions, please contact the Onboarding Center Staff at email@example.com or by phone at (919) 513-1278. We are here to serve you!